Saturday, July 11, 2020

Prospects

A developer's consideration.
Dear Reader,

If you enjoyed "Nocturnal Affair" regardless of the many grammatical errors, thank you. It means a lot to me. To this day it still feels like a dream. 

Over the week I revisited a couple of released projects, particularly "Bus Stop" and "Before The Tale". I received a lot of positive feedback on the latter over at CloudNovel that I owe it to them to at least fix the many writing issues it has. I have been considering making an improved Ren'Py version of the game with additional custom UI design and re-draw my first attempt at background including the CGs. It would certainly be quite interesting. We'll see.

About the former, I've always envisioned it to have a sequel from Hajime's POV. I do have two unfinished draft versions, sadly, I continue to feel something is missing within the plot. Compared to Hana's story, the sequel would be another kinetic story. Originally it was intended to be a choice based ending, but I wanted Hajime's arc to represent the unavoidable flow of life. How in reality, you aren't given the chance to go back in time and fix everything. The idea of Hana and Hajime being together as though a fairytale story, didn't seem appropriate. I tried to understand him better, and in doing so he's character grew in depth. He's not Hana's mere object of interest and unattained love any longer, he is the very embodiment of it. I like to think it's poetic that way.

As for the current project, it's much more melancholic. I want to expand the book's lore from Azure's story more. Just enough to not give anything away, keep its mysterious nature and whatnot. This project might contain CG art although it remains to be seen. For now, I'm concentrating on finishing the last chapter of the story. A task I momentarily put on hold during Yaoi Jam Plus. 

To be honest, unlike my younger self, I have no idea if I'll be able to develop the myriad of ideas I have cultivated during my hiatus as a developer or will continue to be one in the future. If they could come to life overnight with the aid of some magical creatures or objects I'd be ecstatic. Unfortunately, this is real life. Things can happen in that may hinder one's creative ability. I love visual novels. It's one of the few things which has been ever consistent in my life. I've met amazing people thanks to it. I'm sure you did too if not, I hope you will.  

Anyway, all I can say for now is thank you for the support and reading these posts. Truly, it lifts up my spirits on some occasions. I wish you all good things in real life outside this virtual realm.

- Silver Hatsuyuki