Saturday, February 27, 2021

Dev Diary #09



I'm back with new updates for Pink Rose. 

Around last week I finished designing the GUI for PR. There was a couple of last-minute hiccups, but I successfully made the designs coherent and keep that manga aesthetic I was aiming for. Both menu and game backgrounds are still missing, however. The technical issues I faced certainly did not help at all. Both laptop and software refused to work for a while that I was afraid it caught a virus or worse. Around this week, it functioned as decently as it could again albeit with the issues coming back in several occasions.

(Preview of the misc. and character screen)


Considering Pink Rose is a remake, I used the early script as a guide into how many and which types of BGs I will have to use. Luckily, I have organized the assets I accumulated over the years, cataloguing them per website and creator. 

Even if he hasn't been active as much this last few years Uncle Mugen's high-quality images are still my go-to. And the Japanese artist Kimagure After remains one of my favourites. The editing process for the images to be cohesive with the rest of Pink Rose started this week. Combining both Photoshop and Clip Paint Studio helped me achieved that manga effect as seen below (the bedroom BG is not final).

(Preview of the edited background images)

Back to the topic at hand, I am happy to say I got over my writer's block at long last! Upon writing this post I successfully wrote the first of three endings for Pink Rose. There's still the Bonus content to worry about so fingers-crossed. My only concern remains the possible lack of emotional gravity once the pinnacle scene is reached within the story.

About the game title card, after some considerations, I decided to keep the manga theme ongoing. It will be very minimal reminiscent of the modern shojo title covers and hand-written (yes, I will be writing it 👀).

I was thinking of starting the sprites too, but due to a couple of personal problems and Nanoreno approaching, I'll most likely be diverting my focus on coding and writing in the meantime. I was accepted as a volunteer sprite lineart artist for MikomiKisomi (the developer of Crystal Game Work) and others during the month-long game jam. It's going to be a first-time experience for me after 2016's Yaoi Jam. It's pretty exciting! 😁

Stay safe and keep wearing facemasks ~😉

PS. Dev Blog has been renamed Dev Diary because I can't let the alliteration pass by...