Saturday, March 20, 2021

Dev Diary #11



Dear Dev Diary,

The coding week has been something, to say the least. I am once again realizing how much of a newbie I am at programming.

I was very excited to work on the Character Screen at the start of the week. However, after tinkering around with the program a series of error came up almost immediately. The way I worked with the pronoun tool into imagemap triggered an error with its pre-set variables. Varied attempts later, I have managed to incorporate the code, but the code itself wasn't affecting the appearance on screen. The imagemaps worked but the variable didn't coincide with the player's choices.

Thankfully, after sleeping through it the next day I found a system that allowed for its original structure to remain intact, albeit in imagemap format and with the help of variables. Below are the following code, in case it might help somebody else.

Imagemap of the custom screen in screen.rpy file




Variables used as conditionals written in script.rpy

Applied the variables from the pronoun tool and
placed them in the main script under the conditionals.

The final outcome of the pronoun tool
is as shown above.

Then somehow and in some way, I managed to fix and make the custom character menu work in-game. In a nutshell this week I not only, despite my poor programming abilities, encountered coding issues that lead to an existential crisis but I also fixed said issues all on my own by playing around with the system. All and all this has been my most productive coding session yet!

Obviously, there will be minor GUI changes compared to the previews, but regardless, I'm proud to say the coding part of the GUI is close to the end (I even got the gallery screen working!).

 As for the script itself, it is currently being edited by the lovely Hira from Silver Atelier Games. In the meantime, I will continue working on the code. With my Nanoreno tasks done too, I might even get the sprites or reference sheet started.

Thank you for reading thus far, as always stay safe and wear your masks!