Thursday, June 11, 2020

Yaoi Jam+ Week 2

Progress from last week.

Here's another update on how the YaoiJam+ experience is going so far.

At the start of last week, I was pumped on getting Nocturnal Affair back for this jam. Everything was going smoothly with Twine. I was getting the hang of the variables and how to set up the conditionals. Slowly I was familiarising with Sugarcube script, that has a Save and Restart function already built. Which is exactly why I decided to go for it, rather than Harlowe and others. Another mode I've been enjoying is the ability to colour code each passage. Something I hope Ren'Py could have in the future to lessen the confusions when working on multiple branches. 

I managed to set up a Credits and Endings button on the sidebar rather than putting it directly on the landing screen.  

Preview of the landing page.


On the other hand, I began having issues with how I was treating the original script. Unconsciously, I was rewriting everything to suit the flow of the story, in the same way, I have seen countless other COG games I have played over the last year. This naturally made me frustrated enough to consider quitting - as always-.  Reconsidering my perfectionism, I opted to stick with the original format and keep the names as to ease the identity of who's talking. Consider it as a kinetic novel at this point. 

The issue remains, however, with the persistent variable. I'm trying to find a way to solve it, so players won't lose the unlocked endings when restarting the game. Which is exactly what is happening as of now. Hopefully, by the end of the week it could be fixed otherwise I'll have to give up on the idea. 

Thank you for reading! Stay safe and take care. :)