Saturday, April 24, 2021

Dev Diary #15

 


Dear Dev Diary,

This week I continued working on encoding the sprites within the demo. However, give the sheer confusion that happened while I was placing the talking ATL, I decided to settle for static sprites with blinking for now. 

(The script using simple sprite coding)

(The same scene with talking ATL coding)

With the talking ATL it became hard to keep track of when to place the stop talking animation in every dialogue. It became so overwhelming I almost lost the desire to do the task at all. This is why after doing a poll on Twitter, I opted to settle for a simpler and cleaner sprite coding for the demo. 

I don't know whether I will get back into my original plan to have talking sprites for the full game, if I do I might have to take a break every once in a while to avoid the headaches attached to the work. I'd love nothing more to incorporate them given the time I dedicated to coding the animations, but I need to consider that this project is something I'd like to finish possibly within the year (there's still Before The Tale pending). 

These two VNs will be my last releases before I stop developing. The goal, for now, is to release the demo before Otome Jam starts this May. Besides from volunteering as a chibi artist I plan to continue working on the full version of Pink Rose to be submitted for SuNoFes (if possible).

That's all for this week's little rant. 

Have a nice weekend. 😊